miércoles, 25 de junio de 2008

MODAL PERFECT

We can use the modal perfect to talk about the past

modal perfect= modal + have + past participle

e.g. You should have seen what Emma worw to the party


POSIBILITY:

Simon may/might/could have been at the party. I can´t really remember.

(= It´s possible he was at the party)


CERTAINTY:

Francis must have been 11 when he moved to France. (I´m sure he was 11)


HYPOTETICAL SITUATIONS:

I coul/woul have passed the exam if I´d studied harder

(= I didn´t pass because I didn´t study hard enough.)


OPINION:

You ought to/should have called me. (= You didn´t call me but I wish you

had called me.)


Note: modal perfect continuous = modal + have + been + ing form

e.g. We must have been dancing four hours.


We use the modal perfect continous:


for actions in progress on interrupted when another action happens

e.g. He can´t have been driving carefully when he crashed the card


Rocio Chavez

No hay comentarios.: