martes, 8 de abril de 2008

Used "to" and "would"

We saw in Grammar Bank that we can use pat simple (and NOT past continuous) for repeated actions in the past.
e.g. I played basketball every Saturday when I was a teenager.

We can also use used to + bare infinitive or wouls + bare infinitive.
e.g. I used to play basketball every Saturday when I was a tennager.
I would play basketball every Saturday when I was a tennager.

Be careful! For continuing states and situations (rather than actions), we CAN use past simple or used to, but we CANNOT use would.
e.g. I loved toy shops when I was a kid.
I used to love toy shops when I was a kid.
BUT NOT: I would love toy shops when I was a kid.

There are several ways of expressing the negative whit used to. The most common is whit never.
e.g. I never used to like chocolate, but I do now.

These forms are also possible, but they are less common:
I didn't used to like chocolate, but i do now.
I didn't use to like chocolate, but I do now.
I used not to like chocolate, but I do now.

Be careful! There are two main ways of asking questions whit used to:
e.g. Did you used to live in Germany? (more common)*
Did you use to live in Germany? (less common)

*Note: Some people think this form is grammatically incorrect.


Minaya Aguilar.




No hay comentarios.: